Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, Salem - RUN!!!

My friend and I were excited about our night out in Salem. We had specifically booked a room with 2 beds on AirBNB as pictured, and as described. I received an email from the host, Flora, the DAY-OF our reservation telling us our room had been "upgraded" due to scheduling.

Upon arrival, we noticed the "upgraded" room only had 1 bed. We spoke with Flora immediately, who told us the people she put in the room we originally booked "have a kid," which is not our concern or our problem. She was very unhelpful and asked us if we'd like to stay somewhere else, without offering so much as an apology or even a free breakfast. Having already done our due diligence, we knew our options were limited, and far more expensive, so we chose to stay.

The next morning around 9am, Flora popped in (literally) and said, "Oh, I see you made it through the night." All of our interactions with her, this comment included, were bizarre and off-putting. At 10 minutes after 10 o'clock (checkout was at "10am", even though in the listing it said 11am), Flora came in again and asked "Are you almost ready? My housekeeper is here." I informed her my friend had left the room to take a call, and we would be leaving once she was off the phone.

At this point I was pissed. How dare she mess up our reservation, then harass us about checking out?! Was this really the only room her housekeeper could clean?! Flora's customer "service" skills are lacking to say the least. She is socially awkward and just plain rude and has no business running a business.

But wait...it gets worse.

I politely request a partial refund, and write a review on AirBNB, and this is what she posts about me:

"Holly stayed 1 Saturday night on a very high demand weekend. I had upgraded them to the beautiful Garden room on the 1st floor with a queen and private bath where they can park their car right next to their room and the room opens out to a beautiful garden. They were not happy I found out as they wanted 2 separate beds. They never specified they needed 2 beds. The historical room has a slim ottoman convertible with only a foam padding suitable for a petite person or child. So even if they did get that room, the twin would not be too comfortable as they were both on the plus size. I didn't want anyone staying if they are not happy, so I gave them the option to cancel without penalty. They could of gone anywhere else, but they choose to stay. I was very tempted to cancel on my end, but felt bad for them as it was a high demand weekend. They had a sour face the whole time. We clearly state our check-out time as being 10:00AM. However, when I checked at 10, she seemed astonished. They clearly did not read any of the house manual or guides before booking. My housekeeper who arrived at 10 had to wait until they finally left at about 10:30. So that's extra time I had to pay her. Parking is not included with our rooms as half of the guests take public transportation. Parking is only $5/day which is quite a deal in Salem. They left without paying their parking fee which they had agreed to."

To which I replied: 1. The "upgraded" room (from 2 beds to 1 bed) included parking - in fact, that was the only upgrade! Don't you read your own documents?! I would be more than happy to send them to you. 2.The listing WE BOOKED specified 2 beds; did you expect us to tell you we needed pillows & blankets, too?! 3.We are not plus-size, but even if we were, I will let your disgusting body-shaming comment speak for itself. That should bring in plenty of business. 4.You aggressively told us we could "go somewhere else" (everywhere else was booked, as it was last-minute on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND), but you never offered the option to "cancel without penalty." 5.The "sour faces" we had were in direct response to your unique brand of "customer service." 6.The discrepancies in your checkout time of 10am vs 11am were misleading and confusing. I can send these documents to you as well. Or post them. Your call. 7.My friend saw the housekeeper cleaning another room. Just stop. 8. See #1. Parking was included with the "upgrade." We NEVER agreed to pay it. ***Not once from the time we approached you about the lack of 2 beds in the room to now have you taken ANY responsibility for your mistake or apologized. Not even ONCE. You were rude from the minute we arrived, and continue to be so – you are a terrible “host” and, apparently, an even worse human being. Shame on you.***

Run, don't walk away from this place and unstable host. RUN!

Product or Service Mentioned: Northey Street House Room.

Reason of review: Not as described.